Our 59th Annual Fest is April 20-22, 2017.
We found your audience … now all we need is our film!
The Rochester Intl. Film Festival selection process is twofold. In Preliminary Judging, your entry is viewed start-to-finish by our screening committee members. They discuss the film’s merits and vote on whether to move it along for Final Judging.
Every single film entry receives a critique letter that sums up our findings. Later, in Final Judging, we review the top entries and select those destined for the fest. Films which make it into the festival receive our distinctive Shoestring Trophy.
Filmmakers who are selected into and choose to attend our Award-Winning short film festival enjoy these complimentary perks:
- Private tours of the George Eastman Museum film archives
- Networking with filmmakers from around the world
- Day trips to places like Niagara Falls
- Help arranging accommodations
- Local transportation
- Dinner parties, etc.
Click HERE to download your entry form.
Even if this year’s fest is under way, we’re happy to accept your inquiries and submissions for next year. Read our “Submission Guidelines” (below), fill in your entry form and mail it with payment plus a Region 1 or Region Free DVD copy of your film to: MOAS | P.O. Box 17746 | Rochester, NY 14617 (USA).
We accept U.S. checks, International Money Orders &
Our short-film festival is open to films and videos of ANY genre. Yet, like any festival worth its weight in golden shoestrings, your entry into the Rochester Int’l. Film Festival must meet EACH of these conditions.
- A $35 Early Bird entry fee applies to any film received by December 1.
- A $50 Standard entry fee applies from December 1 to February 1.
- Preliminary Judging entries must be postmarked by February 1.
- Official festival screening copies must be received by March 1.
- It pays to be an “Early Bird” — early entrants save 30%.
- Maximum film length is 30 min. (30:00).
- Entries must be self-contained, stand-alone works.
- A separate entry fee is required for EACH film you submit.
- You can enter multiple films, but with only (1) entry per disc.
- For best results, pay your entry fee using PayPal via the link above.
- Entries must be mailed via U.S. Postal Service vs. UPS, FedEx, DHL.
- Initial entries should conform to Region 1 or Region Free DVD format.
NOT ACCEPTED: Episodes of a series, music videos, video components and/or other fragmented works.
Your film made the fest? Hooray! Now what?
PRESENTATION COPY SPECS
If your film made it thru Final Judging and was selected for screening, congrats! Now we need a high-quality presentation copy. These tips and specifications ensure that your work will shine brightly on the screen, delight movie goers and perhaps land you a spot among audience picks for our “Best of the Fest” traveling library!
Specs & Tips for successful presentation:
- Presentation copies must be received by March 1st.
- Submit your presentation copy as a QuickTime (.mov) file.
- Acceptable formats are 16mm and 35mm. Specify aspect ratio.
- DVDs/digital videos are unreliable and therefore NOT accepted.
- Encode your video in a VLC supported codec. For help click HERE.
- We suggest H.264 (“Best” quality), ProRes 422 HQ or 422 variants.
- ProRes 444 codec is NOT supported for the purpose of our festival.
- Videos MUST begin with 00:07 of black silence for film transitions.
- NO color bars, countdowns/related effects in presentation copies.
- Submit a single, self-contained video file on “Acceptable Media.”
Specs for Internationally-Produced Short Films:
International films captured at 25fps may not require re-encoding to 24fps for playback. Those which play well in VLC 2.0.5 do not usually require such re-encoding. Conversely, those which play well in VLC 2.0.5 but are still re-encoded to 24fps often fail. Your video must be submitted as a single, self-contained file on “Acceptable Media.”
If your presentation copy arrives in a format which is unacceptable, we will request an alternate. Without an acceptable first version or alternate, you work cannot/will not be presented. The following are acceptable media types. Comply with these specifications to be sure your work is presentable.
Acceptable media types & tips:
- USB Flash Drive
- Data DVD (Single or Dual Layer)
- External hard drive (w/USB or FireWire connectivity)
- All drives must be formatted as HFS+ or exFAT file systems.
- Test your files for playback in VLC 2.0.5 before submitting them.
- Label hard drives and/or flash drives with your name and phone number.
We look forward to viewing your film. Good luck!
While we take great care when handling each of your films: Our festival, its presenting body and its affiliates are NOT responsible for any form of loss or damage to your entry. If you wish to verify receipt of your film, enclose with your entry:
- A SASE (self-addressed stamped envelope)
- A Self-addressed stamped postcard
- Or a confirmation email address
By submitting your film, you grant us permission to copy it as we see fit. That includes making copies for local storage, playback and/or presentation. All copies are destroyed at the conclusion of our festival. The Rochester Int’l. Film Festival, its presenting body (MOAS) and its affiliates are NOT responsible for file corruption or failure. If failures are identified, we will notify you of the need for a replacement.